Sunday, March 31, 2013

Rebellion

I am not doing what I've supposed to do.

I am supposed to be weaving off this sample warp in warp rep....

RepSample

but I am bored to tears with it and irritated with the awkward two-shuttle aspect, even though I've coped fine with two-shuttle weaves in the past.  Plus, I hate the colors - the greens (there are two wound together) are nice, but the pink and pinky-purple are yucky with the greens, so I don't like looking at this.  I may (or may not) finish off a very short sample and then take the scissors to this.

In the meantime, I'm pulling out skeins and colors for possible new projects and piling them up all over the room.
Rebelling1

Rebelling2

Rebelling3

Rebelling4

In truth, having to weave the wedding present is blocking me.  I think I'll go to Etsy and just freaking buy some handwoven household textiles and be done with it, even though the bride is one of my bestest friends and I'll feel guilty about not making her something.

However, screw guilt, and the bride would be the first to tell me that.

So, what have I been doing?  I've been spinning mindlessly.

LittleSkeins

These are little skeins, spun from nests and batts I made when I visited JimBob in NYC over a year ago.  These aren't perfect yarns, but they are really very nice and I'm enjoying spinning them.  I'm in the middle of the last batt and I have some washed Cormo locks left from that visit, which I'll comb and spin up - and then I'll have an empty bin, woo!  A small bin, but still, I'll take all the small victories I can these days.

I'm a little slow at picking up on my own cues, but I can tell I don't want to do what I "should" do right now.  Therefore, I'm declaring April to be A Month Off.  My goal here, if you want to call it a goal, is to do whatever I want to in April in terms of weaving, and report back on what I find out about myself.  I suspect it will involve lots of color and some very, very simple weaves (plain weave, anyone?), but who knows?  At the end of April, I'll reassess and decide what's next.


6 comments:

  1. I am right there with you.

    I am doing everything but what I should be doing. I am already late with the MS for the silk book. The problem is, Anita told me that they don't really expect authors to be on time.

    Well. Now you tell me, on book 3!!

    I've been sorting files.

    Talk about your desperation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorting files?!? Oh, the horror! Here, would you like an ugly pink-and-green warp instead?

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with rebellion. You know what you're doing. You know *why* you're doing it. So go do it and then see what happens. It's just another experiment, right? Now, how about doing some weaving for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weaving for you?? What, your vest fabric? It's funny how we resist doing that which we desire, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. OMG, it's not resisting, it's physics! I was counting the days (literally) remaining to me to get things done (vest woven, dyed, sewn before Tapestry Weekend), Jacey Project (more spinning, woven, write-up by June 1), placemats for class at the shop, and then how many looms I (don't) have, that I was getting overwhelmed. And I want that shirt fabric!

      Actually, what I really want is someone to go over my calculations and tell me they're right. And then to kick me in the butt and tell me to start weaving. You can do that, right?

      Delete
    3. I can certainly go over your calculations - post them here. And then I'll show you the towel warp I just wound today. *wink*

      Delete