Thursday, March 7, 2013

Flap, Flap, Flap Goes the Time

My, time is just zooming by, isn't it?  There are just over three weeks till the end of this quarter, so it's time to start panicking over everything I haven't done yet and daydreaming over everything I want to do in spring.

You no doubt saw the photos in FOAY of my newly furnished weaving room, but let's take another look at them, shall we, since I'm so very pleased with the whole endeavor.

Here's the view from the door into the room.  There are two closets (one whitened out by sunlight) on either side of the single set of shelves on the back wall; both closets are full of fiber stuff, mostly knitting yarn on the left and general miscellany on the right (thank Bob for closets!).

LoomRoom1

Here's a shot from in front of that left-hand closet, showing just how crammed this room is.  There are two or three feet of space around the loom and the little red cabinet next to the loom, but that isn't a lot.  The weaving hanging on the wall on the left is Guatemalan, I believe; I bought it in town here from a quirky antique/used furniture/fair trade shop.

LoomRoom2

Now we're looking back toward the door into the room - yes, that's ugly wallpaper in the hallway and yes, that's a THIRD closet to the right of the door.  This closet is above the cellar stairs, however, so it's only from the waist up to the ceiling.  I have more knitting yarn in there, plus needlepoint yarn and maybe even some old tax papers.

LoomRoom3

Finally, here is the wall opposite the wall with the two windows.  Three new sets of cheapo shelving units here hold wools, silk, and linen in the bins, with the 8/2 cotton left naked to fend off the bugs. I will hang my warping board off those two blue clamps on either side of Sarahw's Masham sheep fair towel.  I used this system in the old loom room and it worked well.  My warping reel is hiding behind the fern in front of the left-hand window, which I didn't take a photo off, come to think of it; I'll put the reel on the work table when I want to use it.

LoomRoom4

So, this was Goal #4 for the first quarter of the year and I am so happy to be done!  I'm sure that as I use this room, I'll move things around, but for now, it's one of the nicest rooms in the house and I am very motivated to weave and weave and weave!

Speaking of weaving, you can see the red cotton/silk/flax/polyester warp on the loom; weaving it off is Goal #2B.  The weft for the red fabric is the two cones of maroon rayon slub sitting on the red cabinet next to the loom, although I doubt I'll use more than a third of one cone of the maroon. 

That leaves me with the following to finish this quarter: 
  • The wedding present runner - I gave in and bought the right reed (15 dents/inch) last Saturday for the warp rep I want to weave.  If I still can't figure it out, I'll weave a runner in monk's belt instead - just Get. It. Done.
  • The exploratory warps - I was supposed to do four; I've done two, the honeycomb samples and the Thing That Shall Not Be Named.  I don't know if I'll get even one more warp woven off after the red fabric and the wedding runner, but I'll try.
I have to say that I'm enjoying how productive I've been this winter; this setting of goals and pushing to reach them seems to work for me. 

For next quarter, I'm thinking of concentrating on painted warps. I could finally get around to weaving the warps Sara Lamb taught me to paint last July, and I could gear up for painting some more of my own.  It's entirely possible I may have a little yarn I could use for such a thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment