Sunday, December 30, 2012

Time to Get Serious

It's time to stop dithering around and commit to goals.  I just finished the white wool warp that's been sitting on my loom for the past month, so I am free and clear for new warps!

These are my goals for the first three months of 2013:
  1. Weave the wedding present table runner.  This includes a separate sample of warp rep, just so I understand the weave structure.
  2. Two already-planned projects: A)  the Icelandic/alpaca twill shawl (like the one I made for Jesh, but a different twill or twills), and B)  the rest of the red cotton/silk yardage I sampled for earlier in 2012.
  3. 4 exploratory warps.  These are just to play, to sample, to learn.  They can be short and narrow, or long and wide, cotton or wool, one color or hand-painted, whatever.  I'd like to explore weave structures that push the yarn out of straight lines, within the flat plane of the fabric - honeycomb weaves, in particular.
  4. Finish painting and furnishing the second bedroom into a fiber room.
  5. Start a proper sample notebook (with copies for all of you) and fill it with samples of all the warps, if possible.
That ought to keep me busy enough, you think?  That's seven warps in 13 weeks, which seems doable to me, if I stay focused.

I'm really looking forward to this, as you can tell by the detritus on my dining room table!

Planning

4 comments:

  1. Well done, you! And, I must say, that does sound ambitious. But, it also sounds simply wonderful.

    I finished up the overshot warp yesterday and I've decided what's getting washed and what isn't. I'll have a sample of each of the weft yarns that I used unwashed, and at a minimum I'll have a sample of the 8/2 wool for each of you (I think). I need to double check.

    That said, I also picked up fabric for me to make a first vest. Commercial wool tweed, but that's ok. It'd not great fabric but I think I can manage something. I'm also doing a wholescale reorganizing of the studio so that I can not only FIND things, but not feel overwhelmed by the stash and the "stuff". I also think that getting the building finaled helps tremendously. It feels like it's ours now. :-)

    I'll post tomorrow with my project list for Q1. I most assuredly have sufficient to keep me going - I just need to write down what I want to do so that I feel committed. And, I'll likely even make a schedule.

    Do I see a present in the background? Oh, Lynn. You shouldn't have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll note that, over than a shawl and table runner, I may well have no finished projects from these three months' of work - just lots of samples. So, I applaud your vest "muslin" making. Maybe in the second quarter, I can get around to making a jacket muslin for me - it'll be easier with a work room to spread out in (since the dining room table is full).

    And you'll get lots of presents, dear, just not that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the first vest I'm making isn't a real FO - it's just the muslin sample to see if the pattern will work as expected. I've also pulled out the fine wool I got from Webs and that may well work as yarn for the first *real* one. But I'm getting ahead of myself. :-)

    And, since the annual 12th Night party is coming, everything is getting cleaned. We even picked up paint chips. Paint Chips! (If Sarah is reading, that'll get her motor going. This may well be the end of the "woodland creatures".)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent part of Sunday cleaning up wallpaper scrapings, so I'm right there with you. (Do house renovations ever end?)

    I know your first vest is "just" a muslin, but frankly, I think it's admirable that you're sampling, ahem, for your future vests. I need to do the same for jackets I like to make, but you don't see me committing (yet) to jacket-muslin making.

    ReplyDelete