Thursday, May 3, 2012

She's Alive!

OK, I'm starting to weave again.  Not rugs (sorry, Diane), but a scarf.  Do you remember the Spunky Eclectic BFL gradient I spun during last year's Tour de Fleece?  I can't imagine why you'd remember, but anyhow, hless' recent blog post about a gradient scarf she spun and wove after finishing her book reminded me that I had always meant to weave a scarf from this yarn.

So, I wound a warp tonight - here's a close-up:


That's the warping board on the right. I have several handspun yarns that are possibilities for the weft, but I don't know which one - if any of them - will work well, so I'm going to have to sample (oh, the horror!  I never sample!).  This will be a twill weave, so the weft will matter a good bit.

I'll post again this weekend as I move along through this.  Talking, so to speak, to you three is helping me get moving.  Also, I'm realizing that moving somewhere, anywhere, is better than standing still and wondering where to go, at least to my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll bite. What's the threading? What colors are you thinking about? And yes, the weft is going to matter *hugely*. I'm really not sure where I'd go with a weft on this one. The contrast is high enough from one end to the other that whatever you use is likely to get washed out somewhere - but maybe that's what you're after.

    Details, young lady! Details!

    (and thanks for saying what you did. It's wonderful that we're doing this. Been great for me, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twill will be an irregular wandering of slants to the right, then to the left. In other words, I don't know exactly yet. What I want to do with this is blur the gradient, not because I don't like the gradient or the colors (I do!), but because I want to introduce more complexity.

      (And you're welcome!)

      Delete