Yesterday, our fellow Raveler, Gloria19, showed another picture of her "Daily Tapestry." Tapestry has been flying about in my head of late - I dwell on pictures and textures and have woven miles of it while running. But I keep putting up barriers to actually just getting something out and doing it. Seeing Gloria's project again really pushed me toward the notion of a fiber diary. Something random-ish, something small, something that will help me reflect on the day. Be it morning, noon or night. And, in the way of a marathon, it starts with a single inch and will eventually be a Finished Piece. I've never been good with written journals and the notion of making Art with fiber appeals quite strongly. This might be just what I need.
So, while dealing with Life and all that comes with it this week, I am also letting myself dream about a Daily Tapestry and thinking about how I will start with that. I will allow myself to mix styles (soumak, tapestry, cut pile, twill!) and just let this be a piece of pure creating. A pilot light, if you will, to ensure that the larger spark doesn't go out. I'm not ready to commit to a start date yet, but setting one will be part of my first goal. Size, start date, palette. I think that's something I can get my head around this week. And perhaps this little daily nudge will help me be thankful for the truly wonderful life I have - and for all those who are a part of it.
Oh, and it's a bit too humid here in Wisconsin. :-)
You know, you don't come off as whining a lot. Sometimes I think of peoples' whines as making connections, sort of the human connection of a flock of chickadees in winter time - they're foraging in a loose flock, with occasional chirps and peets just to say "I'm over here, where are you?" So, think of it as connecting, not whining.
ReplyDeleteAnd I hear you on the fiber diary/experiment, I really hear you. My rigid heddle loom is lent out, I don't think I can make something big enough on the table loom, I need the floor loom for other projects - so that means I really should make myself a pipe loom, right?
And Wisconsin? Should I ask?
Thank you for that. I've been trying to be more mindful of what I say - and whether I'm being more negative than I'd like. I want to take a more positive view of everything and hopefully I can keep it up.
ReplyDeleteThat said, of *COURSE* you need a pipe loom. Now, whether I'll modify it to include something for a shed remains to be seen. This is really meant to be a simple thing - for both flexibility and ease of manipulation. I'll ask Chris not to solder anything, so if I want to make mods, I can.
As for Wisconsin, well, it's Family Stuff. Being here is a strange mix of badness and joy - there's a group of friends here that is so welcoming and wonderful, but it serves as a stark contrast to the reality of the rest of it all. It's a day-by-day thing right now. I know if I get home this weekend, I'll be back again soon (too soon, most likely) but I just can't think that far. It's just hard.