I dressed the loom today. The warp yarn is about 30 wpi, so I sett a twill at 24 epi. A bit over 9 inches in the reed, with floating selvedges. I threaded the heddles in a straight twill, but I reversed direction occasionally, following my whims.
First sample weft is a rosy alpaca blend I spun from Gnomespun fiber. This yarn is a bit heavier than the warp (no, I don't know the wpi, offhand).
I think the pink weft overwhelms the warp, so I tried a greenish weft, Wensleydale, again from Gnomespun. This yarn shifts from the green shown here to a blue of about the same value and back again, once or twice. It's about the same weight as the warp yarn.
I like the subtlety of this better (it's not quite as subtle in real life as it is in this photo). I'm going to go find another weft to try, and I'm going to sleep on this, so I get daylight on it tomorrow. In the meanwhile, what do you think?
I don't like the pink. Too strong, for certain.
ReplyDeleteUpon review, how about a grey, or even a pale blue? About the same contrast as the green - so that it'll blend with that one but read as lighter against the pink and not very strong against the white. Perhaps a little *more* blue than the bluish-violet that's in there.
That green could do well, but it just feels a bit strong against the white. Just a bit. I guess that's why I'm leaning toward a grey.
green. There is not a color in the warp that is "like" (as in same color family) any other, so go with the green: you have it, it looks good.
ReplyDeleteThe pink (warp and weft) is the contrast color, the rest are cool, even the white (and the pink is cool, but red-based). The green will bring it closest to the other colors.
What Sara said, although I couldn't have explained the reasoning :-)
ReplyDelete