I promised you photos of the washed and unwashed gaudy scarf. Here's the unwashed scarf:
And here's the washed scarf:
Indeed, a little more movement of the yarns after washing. (And you two are being very ... discreet about this display of utter gaudiness!)
I also made my very first yarn wrappings ever with the yarns I spun last year and talked about in my earlier post. The first one has all six yarns, in proportion to the amount of each yarn I have, wound on more-or-less randomly. That is, I took one strand each of the four Abstract Fibers yarns (I had 4 oz. of each of those), four strands of the Briar Rose (I had a pound of that), and four strands of the Rovings yarn (also a pound of this), and wound them in a bunch onto the cardboard. Then, I spread out the yarns to a single layer. Clear as mud, I'm sure. Anyhow, here 'tis:
Now, I wasn't sure about the paleness of the Briar Rose, so I decided to make a wrapping that mimics what it might look like if I overdye the Briar Rose to a darker purple. This wrapping has 1 strand each of the Abstract Fibers and 4 strands of the Rovings:
Frankly, I think the second wrapping is dull. On the other hand, I keep changing my mind. I think what I need to do is make the muslin in commercial fabric, so I can figure out exactly how much fabric I need to weave. With any luck, I'll need less than the full three pounds, so I can weave a few samples with the extra before I plunge into all 8 yards.
Or maybe I'll just spin more yarn!
Granted, the lighting is different on the two wrappings, but I also think that the second wrapping is duller. Since grey is a neutral, do you think that allows the other colors to be more prominent rather than greying each other out? I do wonder.
ReplyDeleteFWIW, a muslin is a good idea regardless. Particularly for something that should be fitted - like a jacket.
On a side note, we were suit shopping for Chris yesterday and I had great fun closely examining the fabrics. Lots of plain weave - though there were a few herringbone twills that gave the most excellent dimensionality to the fabric. Makes me think that might work well for the dress - a hint of verticality but not necessarily striped. COOL!