Sunday, August 25, 2013

I Was Here Somewhere

Oddments I should tidy up...

The band for the Turkish Coat.  It's all woven off and wet-finished.

BandFinished

BandCloseUp

I like the visual effect, but the fabric is rougher than the body of the coat.  The weft on the body fabric is Harrisville Highland; that of the band is Harrisville Shetland.  I suspect the Shetland packed in too tightly for the cloth to full well.  The weft floats held up well to washing and drying, but we shall see how they do when I cut the fabric.

Don't hold your breath till you see the sewn-up coat; I'm scared, for one thing, and for another, I need to do a muslin.

Second:  The next warp.

RugWarp

Every so often, I get a strong urge to use up a lot of the yarn I have all at one time.  A bit of stash-busting, you could say.  I can't imagine why I feel the need to bust my stash.  (Did you know I have 29.5 fleeces?  Well, did you?)  That's this warp; it's 8/4 cotton rug warp that was given to me.  I used up all of the green I had and all of the blues I had in small quantities, but I'm still left with two almost full tubes of blues.  It's 34" wide, sett 16 epi, for a double-binding rug (a blue and green rug; Sara, you might as well stop reading right now).  For the blue and green wefts, I'll use 5 or so strands held together of mill-end rug yarns and what not, including some of the enormous bag of Paternayan I have.  A double-binding rug is reversible; I've never used this draft before, but I think what it's going to do is squish alternating wefts on top of each other, such that only one color shows on each side.  I might, if I work at it, start weaving Tuesday night; I'll post more photos then.  This could be an interesting fabric, or not.  I'm looking forward to finding out which it is.



2 comments:

  1. My eyes glazed over.

    I like the band though! Can you line/edge the band with something softer, like velvet, so the rough is not next to skin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eyes are glazing over, too. I suppose it's good to get this yarn out of my stash, though.

    I was thinking of lining the band, maybe with cottons from my stash, but velvet would be lovely. Maybe I should learn to weave velvet....

    ReplyDelete