Monday, May 6, 2013

Oops. It's May, Isn't It?

And that means I need to get my ass back in some semblance of organized gear, doesn't it?

First, a review:  The Towels.  The Dreaded Towels.


TowelsNotHemmed

They're not yet hemmed - given my history with this wedding present, I didn't dare try hemming them whilst dealing with dying cat, a bad cold, or excessive pollen, meaning all of the past week and a half.  However, they are woven and I like them.  And they go reasonably well with the scrap of upholstery fabric the bride assures me matches everything in the house.

I will be very, very glad when these are wrapped and given away.

Second, last summer's homework:  The homework I never got around to after learning how to paint warps from Lambspin last summer.  I think we need to see those photos again, don't you?

Painted Warp Begins1

UnwashedYardage
Fuzzy

I was quite pleasantly surprised by how much this softened up after washing; it really would make good coat fabric now - warm, lightweight, windproof.  So, I suppose I ought to attempt making a coat from this.  What do you think I ought to use for a lining?  Cotton, silk, polyester?  Tell me cotton, please; I have bins and bins I could use.  And should I go whole hog and use a wool batting as insulation, or just a polyester batt?  I'm thinking of the Folkwear Turkish Coat here.

Next up:  More weaving off of the painted warp chains.  First is the last remaining bout of the mill end wool I used for the fabric above.  I'll weave it off with the same weft (Harrisville in Aubergine) as the wider fabric, so it coordinates.  After that, I know I have painted cotton and silk bouts to weave with - and maybe more wool?  Lots, in other words, plus I'd like to paint some more and try ikat. 

Finally, I'm definitely not going to SOAR this year, for several reasons, not the least of which is $$$ - I don't want to think about how much I've spent in the past four months on everything that's broken down around here.  This is why we have stashes, you know.  However, I'll still keep trying to figure out a cheap way to get together, somewhere, somehow.

3 comments:

  1. I love the towels. And you know I am not a plaid or a green person, but I love them. The colors and how they blend are quite lovely!

    Coat: I'd use cotton. I used silk for the coat that is in the latest book, and I think it may be too warm (hard to tell, I have not had a chance to try it over winter. I made it last summer, I got it back just now. No cold weather. Yet. ). I know that sounds funny, but outside temps are one thing, we are usually inside/outside/in a car/in a train/ etc. and inside temps are warm everywhere. If the coat is to slog through the snow to the pole? Then maybe silk.

    I've used cotton for all my other coats, and love it: warm to the touch (when you put it on) and crisp enough to add body without all the underlining that is traditional with a Real Coat (tm). (I don't make real clothes, I make fake clothes. But then I do not live in the City, where people would know. I live in hot-bed hippy territory, where clean is considered dressed up. All the rest is extraneous. The fact that I wove it, or for godssakes spun and wove it, is lost on all but the very few who know me).

    Anyway. cotton. Find one you have that works, or overdye some fabric you already have: quilting cottons are crisp and have nice body, even years later. There! My 2 cents! (with interest, so to speak)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Towels: thank you!

      Lining: Cotton! Yay! I don't live in The City either (shudder). Biologists can get away with murder, sartorially speaking.

      Delete
  2. Because I'm so agreeable, I'm going to agree with Sara - the towels are lovely!

    Also very glad to hear that the fabric is now something that you're willing to cut to bits and sew back together. And, if you don't like how the coat turns out, call the first one a muslin and then make another! (and send the first one to me)

    ReplyDelete