Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Good Washing-Up

I love washing wool yarn, whether knitted or woven or spun.  It transforms and blooms and comes out dancing with its best smile on.

So, I washed the honeycomb samples.  They're dry now, so you get lots of photos - first the right side, then the wrong side of each.

HoneycombSample17

HoneycombSample18

HoneycombSample15

HoneycombSample16

HoneycombSample13

HoneycombSample14

HoneycombSample11

HoneycombSample12

HoneycombSample9

HoneycombSample10

Interesting, eh?  I could see making the warp blocks just a little narrower (so the weft floats on the back weren't a little too long), weaving up several related narrow strips, and making a blanket or throw.  (Sometimes I wish I weren't so inspired to make big projects.)  The MacAusland wool that is the warp and ground weft in all of these is quite scratchy, even when washed, but I bet something like Harrisville Shetland woven in honeycomb would make a very cozy and warm blanket.  On the other end of the spectrum, I could see using fine silk and narrow blocks to weave off a colorful scarf.  I was surprised at how tidy and stable the selvedges are in these samples; I used a floating selvedge and of course the fulling of the wool helped, but still, they turned out to have a nice, relatively tidy, turned-under edge on either side.  With more than 4 shafts, I think you could add a plainweave or basket weave edge to honeycomb and stabilize the edges even more.  And can I just say I loved what this structure did for the colors in the warp and weft?  I wanna weave more stuff like this!

Next up: a twill shawl in silver Icelandic wool and gray alpaca, like the one I wove for Jesh.  You may not get samples from this warp, I'm afraid, as I don't have that much Icelandic yarn left.  The warp is sleyed, I wound a bunch of bobbins, and I'm starting the thread the heddles.  Progress, in other words!

ETA:  I also started pulling together a sample notebook.  I think it may need to be a sample box.   When I put each sample in its own plastic sleeve, the pile completely filled a 2.5" binder.  Hmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment