As you've noticed, the Karmic Goose finally found its way home. As with most big projects, I feel both proud and a bit bereft. A little deflated.
And the shawl I wove for Sara's new book is off in Colorado, awaiting photographing or whatever.
So, I don't have any major weaving project in the forefront of my anxious mind. Yes, I want to spin and weave a Shetland-wool blanket for my friend Isabelle to take off to college, but that's ... five months off? Plenty of time! (Not, but let's ignore that.) And I don't know what I want to do next.
Apparently, I need a commitment to someone else to kickstart my creativity. Abby, Sara, Isabelle, probably others further in the past. And that's an issue, as I see it - what do I want to weave because I want to weave it? What do I want to explore? What matters to me?
I don't know.
I know what you mean! Sometimes, without a deadline or something else to push me, I just sit back and dream about all the things I can do - but don't necessarily want to actually DO any of them.
ReplyDeleteI still have my garment fabric hanging over my head - I need to figure out whether or not I really do have enough yarn, and if so, get that puppy on the loom *this week*. I also want to weave rugs (need to buy worms), curtains (need to plan them) and I also have to come up with two or three Rigid Heddle projects and a sampler class for the LYS. (Did I mention they love me? The email they sent this morning was pretty awesome ...)
Plus, I need to get the dishtowl and placemat machine rolling as Art Fair is only a few months away. (How did that happen?)
For me, for a personal project, I think it'll be a rug. That said, I've also got this skein of wool/cotton that's just itching to be woven into something. But yeah, a rug. How about we do rugs? Pendleton worm rugs?
I have no great desire to do Pendleton worm rugs, but I would LOVE to do more rag rugs (shut your ears, Sara). However, I don't have a good loom for rug-weaving; I need something sturdier, I think.
DeleteSo, how about generic rugs. Rag, worm, pick and pick, whatever.
DeleteI just know that my floors are bare and I need something. I don't want to cave and just buy something I don't love! So, I'll weave it.
I'm going to suck it up and order 10# of worms today. Carpet warp arrives on Friday. Boom.
I have carpet warp. I have cotton fabric for rag rugs. I even have some wool rug yarn. Maybe I should weave a rug anyway - my loom handled the one rag rug I wove reasonably well, so I think it could deal with another one.
ReplyDeleteDone and dusted.
ReplyDeleteAnd, now that I'm signed up for SOAR (despite being a total IDIOT and forgetting about the timing), it's time to get those selvedges on order and dash off to IKEA.
Hooray for rugs!
ha. I have more projects in mind than I have time for the next five years. Almost everything I see sparks an idea. Not all of them are weaving, mind :-)
ReplyDeleteAll the weaving ones are fabric, almost all the spinning is for weaving fabric. My problem is that I can't envisage garments made from the fabric because I don't sew. And with all the stuff to do, I haven't time or the desire to do so. Megan will sort me out, though.